Thursday, February 20, 2020

Boucle!

 Today, here at MoonBound House, I am making yarn! This is not unusual, but it sure is fun! Today I am working on a Boucle yarn.

This is a multiple step process, the first is to spin a fine single, in this case a variegated teal merino, in a z twist (spin it clockwise.) Then you spiral ply it on a another strand, the ply direction is s (anti-clockwise.) I am using a commercial silver thread. While, you are plying you push the wool strand towards the orifice creating lots of random loops and curls.

The yarn is not set at this point, those loops and curls will move and can snag on the hooks of your wheel. The next set will help lock the curls in place and tighten the whole yarn. You ply the yarn again, this time in a z twist.

Voila! you have a boucle yarn. I still have a fair bit to do so I am going to get back to work!

Hope you are creating something that makes your heart happy and your hands warm! ~ Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment