Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Inspiration

We find inspiration everywhere in our lives. This month for me it has been in colors and spontaneous what would have if thoughts, and in a series of mystery novels. The Embroidery Mystery series by Amanda Lee features Marcy embroidering her way through her work day - in her very own storefront where she helps crafters expand their skills (WANT) - through her friendships, life choices, and through solving the murders the story features.

It got me thinking, I had read in Spin off of people spinning embroidery or crewel threads. I decided to play around.

I started with white silk hankies, just two got me 48 yards of two ply. Then I grabbed a whole bunch of different bits to play with. (warning Embroidery thread spinning is fun and slightly addictive) I did a dark brown Corriedale, a light pink Merino, a raspberry pink Merino, a forest green Merino, and a purple Wensleydale. I sent these, along with some blue Lincoln Longwool curls, to my Mom to test out. I do embroider but as it tends to hurt my hands I don't do it often, even though I like it. She really liked them. I will post a picture of her work after I make it into a little clutch purse.

I will be making more and carrying them in my booth and on-line offerings this season!
Silk

Wensleydale

The dark brown is not pictured.
Hope you are looking for inspiration! ~ Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment